Welcome to the trailer/pilot episode of the Nerd Journey Podcast [@NerdJourney]! We’re John White (@vJourneyman) and Nick Korte (@NetworkNerd_), two VMware Solutions Engineers who are hoping to bring you the IT career advice that we wish we’d been given earlier in our careers.
Original recording date: 2018-07-11
01:05 – Why did we start this podcast?
- We both came from IT Operations in the SMB space and realized our career progress was slower than it could have been (i.e. making career advancement more of a priority)
- We’re sharing opinions and career advice we wish had been given to us along the way.
- Career advancement does not necessarily mean moving to a different company.
- Your career is a journey with many stops along the way. We hope something we’ve said will help you.
03:33 – IT Conferences as IT Career Catalysts
11:10 – Surviving and Thriving at IT Conferences
- What’s your plan to get plenty of sleep?
- Proper footwear is a must!
- How hard is it to stay hydrated?
- What’s your packing strategy?
- Planning your schedule at the conference each day is a balancing act between sessions and social activities.
- Drinking is not required to enjoy the conference. Don’t let it be a detriment to your experience.
- Nick’s blog posts about surviving/thriving
24:45 – A Preview of Upcoming Podcast Topics
- What is it like to work for VMware?
- Prioritizing career advancement
- Interviewing for new positions (at your current job or elsewhere)
- Work / life balance
- Resume writing tips
- Company culture and the effects on career advancement
- Questionable career advice
- NerdJourney_logo_graybackground600: Brandi Korte