Welcome to episode 2 of the Nerd Journey Podcast [@NerdJourney]! We’re John White (@vJourneyman) and Nick Korte (@NetworkNerd_), two VMware Solutions Engineers who are hoping to bring you the IT career advice that we wish we’d been given earlier in our careers. In today’s episode, we discuss early process interviews, both screening interviews with HR / recruiters and initial calls with a hiring manager.
Original recording date: 2017-12-16
1:40 – HR Screen with a recruiter
- What is the purpose of this call?
- Should you discuss salary during this call?
- What would John do in this situation?
- Listen to Geek Whisperers Episode 137 – Advice for the Job Hunt with Recruiter Liz Bronson
- Asking about the benefits in addition to just the salary (i. e. total compensation package and structure). Company size may affect what this package looks like.
15:10 – First interview with hiring manager
- Be prepared to address resume gaps.
- John is a subscriber to Manager Tools, a great source of information on career.
- Questions to anticipate…
- Why are you looking for a job? Think carefully about your comments.
- Listen to the Geek Whisperers Episodes from the Silicon Valley VMUG
- Learn to tell that story of your achievements, find the relatable experience
- Sales experience?
- Every help desk ticket is a potential technical sale.
- Looking for a job in technical marketing?
- Blogs, public speaking experience at conferences, and videos are all things you can highlight.
- IT Generalist wanting to become a specialist?
- What have you done in the specialty area in your time as a generalist?
- Ask questions!
- Have some prepared BEFORE the interview.
- What are good questions?
- Indicate interest in the job and how to get better at the job
- Team makeup
- Conflict resolution
- Mentoring / development opportunities
- Watch DFW SpiceCorps Video – A Recruiter’s Advice to the IT Pro
- Interview: Pixabay