Welcome to episode 9 of the Nerd Journey Podcast [@NerdJourney]! We’re John White (@vJourneyman) and Nick Korte (@NetworkNerd_), two VMware Solutions Engineers who are hoping to bring you the IT career advice that we wish we’d been given earlier in our careers. In today’s episode, we discuss a Career Clickbait article on blowing interviews and how to dress for an interview.
Original recording date: 2018-03-20
03:03 – Career Clickbait or “Thanks for the Clickbait”
- Here’s the #1 way people blow a job interview (Moneyish)
- And the number one way is…arriving late.
- John was late to his VMware interview. Listen to the story.
- The moneyish.com article has a list of 10 things but was sourced from a much better article – Hiring Truths: Over 850 Managers Reveal Their Practices and Opinions (SimplyHired Blog).
- Gems from the article…
- Look at common things hiring managers don’t do.
- What do hiring managers expect you to say when looking for another job?
- What behaviors were viewed positively and negatively?
- John references a careertools.com article that suggests arriving 8 minutes early.
- What is the one positively viewed element of a resume that John says is easiest to control?
- See Nerd Journey episode 4 for resume writing tips.
- John and Nick debate whether interviewers will actually give candidates feedback if a candidate asks.
- What one interview choice did hiring managers in their 20s have the biggest problem with?
- How do you express a bad experience with a former employer or boss in a constructive way to an interviewer asking why you are looking to make a change?
- Do you have a kitchen sink resume?
29:10 – How to dress for an Interview
- Who should you ask about appropriate dress for the interview?
- Does a male having facial hair affect professionalism?
- John rants about cultural bias.
- Would John wear jeans and a t-shirt to an interview?
- Restaurant Interview: Pixabay